Lakeshore Talent has partnered with a large hospital in Oak Park to staff a part time Food Services Assistant role.
This role is approximately 2 months
Under direct supervision, is responsible for preparing, portioning, serving, and clean up of food services provided to patients/ patient families, cafeteria/kiosk customers and catering customers in any department assigned work area. Required to support and follow safe food handling and sanitation procedures as stated in department, hospital, and healthcare regulatory standards. Exemplifies the mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Turns on and uses equipment; Prepares food items requiring little technical knowledge; Portions, and serves food for patients/ patient families, external retail customers, hospital employees and catering customers in assigned unit. (Patient Services/Central Kitchen, Cafeteria, catering, department operated kiosks).
- Gathers, distributes, and unloads needed supplies and equipment to complete tasks and maintains inventories of these supplies as part of daily work assignment.
- Sets up, supplies, and dismantles serving stations and organizes food supplies, dishes, utensils, and disposables according to department procedures (Retail serving lines and Central Kitchen patient tray line).
- Handles food safely following department and healthcare regulatory agency guidelines and standards for the preparation, heating/cooling, labeling, and safe storage of food products.
- Takes and records temperatures according to directions in order to maintain safe food holding and storage temperatures.
- Assembles, checks accuracy, and delivers meal/late trays as assigned (Central Kitchen).
- Cleans, arranges, and sanitizes work, service, and dining areas and cleans equipment frequently using approved chemicals as established by the department and healthcare regulatory agencies.
- Participates in recipe standardization.
- Fills ice containers, maintains required sanitation of ice machine, scoops and buckets.
- Arrange chairs in dining areas; makes sure all furniture is thoroughly cleaned and in its proper position.
- Performs dish room duties such as transporting soiled items, dismantling food carts, scraping, sorting silverware, racking, loading/unloading dishmachine, re-supplying work unit areas in the kitchen, dining, and service areas as assigned.
- Disposes of waste in containers or disposals
- Follows hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists in the training of personnel as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- H. S. Diploma or GED
- Foodservice experience preferred
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English and demonstrate reading ability.
Note: On the Job Training Competency will be evaluated
- Able to perform as an active team player,
- Good interpersonal skills, outgoing personality
- Able to demonstrate basic math skills
- Must be able to lift 30 – 50 pounds and push or pull a cart.
- Work demands 100% walking and/or standing.
- Work duties may demand standing in place for extended periods, stooping, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling.
- Work environment involves the ability to tolerate temperature and climate changes (hot, humid, cold, steam, wet).
- Requires individual to move in and out of refrigerated areas and work in a dish room operation which is a warm, wet and noisy area.
- Must be able to tolerate working close to hot equipment.
Pay is $16-$17 per hour depending on experience